Saturday, October 15, 2005

Peace Seeds in My Own Backyard



There are several reasons why "In My Own Backyard" is the title of my blog. One of them was inspired by a lyric in Steve Earle's song "The Revolution Starts Now" from the album of the same name.

"Yeah the revolution starts now
In your own backyard
In your own hometown
So what you doin’ standin’ around?
Just follow your heart
The revolution starts now"

~Steve Earle


One aspect of the Montessori method of education that initially attracted me was how the curriculum interweaves peace education with academics. Peace is not a separate subject we teach ~ it is part of everything we teach.

Montessori encompasses a large part of "my own backyard." Sowing seeds of peace, respect, and kindness in this "garden" is very central to why I became a teacher.

The AMS Peace Seed Connection is a wonderful resource for teachers, students, and parents. There you will articles such as:

Talking to Kids About World Natural Disasters
Anita Gurian, Ph.D.

Why Can't You Raise My Child's Test Score?
Sharon J. Damore, Ed.D.

Recognizing and Addressing Bullying Behavior
Nancy Hofer

Crime and Punishment
An editorial by Ruth Corey Selman, Ph. D.

It's my hope that what I do here in all areas of "my backyard" will make a positive difference in the world, little by little, step by step.

I close today with this quote from Margaret Mead. It's one of my favourites:

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home