Monday, October 10, 2005

I Have Arrived. I Am Home.

A dear friend of mine went to a peace walk in Los Angeles this past Saturday. It was lead by Thich Nhat Hanh, a Vietnamese Buddhist monk.

Afterwards, my friend met and talked with Cindy Sheehan and was very moved by her humanity and her openness to the unexpected changes that are happening her her life since her activism became front page news.

I have also been inspired by Cindy, a mom who "speaks truth to power" ~ from her heart. Here is a recent post written by her in respose to her experience at the peace walk:


I Have Arrived. I Am Home.
by Cindy Sheehan

I was honored and humbled to be in the presence of holy man Thich Nhat Hahn today at MacArthur Park in a very Hispanic neighborhood in Los Angeles.

Tha^y, (teacher) as he is known, is a Buddhist monk who was active during the Vietnam War years bringing peace and reconciliation to the countries of North and South Vietnam.

He was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize by Martin Luther King, Jr. He walks with an aura of peace and acceptance radiating from him.

Every day we do things, we are things that have to do with peace. If we are aware of our life..., our way of looking at things, we will know how to make peace right in the moment, we are alive. Thich Nhat Hahn.

In a speech I delivered at the Riverside Church in NYC on the one year anniversary of Casey's death, which was also the 37th anniversary of MLK, Jr's death, I said: We must all do one thing for peace each day. I now know that is not enough. We must live peace and embody peace if we want peace on earth. Our entire lives must be for peace. Not just one activity a day.

Every step is peace.

Click here for the rest of the post by Cindy Sheehan.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home