Saturday, April 01, 2006

El Alisal


For many years I've been enchanted with early 20th century Los Angeles, California. The art and architecture of this time resonates in my soul in a way that I've never completely understood. When I first visited Southern California in 2001 I knew that the connections I felt were not just ones of academic curosity or art appreciation. It was something deeper. Like the Craftsman and Arroyo stone architecture, it seems almost organic, rising from the earth and taking form.

Today I visited a house that I'd wanted to see for several years. It is in the same general area as my beloved Abbey San Encino. El Alisal was the home of Charles Lummis. He was certainly acquainted with Clyde Browne who built the Abbey. Today's visit will send me on a quest for all the information I can find about the connections both artistically and socially. I love exploring these connections and will share more here soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home